TEACHING ASSISTANTS FOR SIGNATURE MODULES
UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH AFRICA
ONLINE INDEPENDENT CONTRACTORS
TEACHING ASSISTANTS FOR SIGNATURE MODULES
(Ref. TA/Contr/ALL Coll/November 2021)
UNISA is the only publicly funded institution in South Africa dedicated to distance education.
In keeping with its mandate as a comprehensive, open and distance learning tertiary institution
offering a variety of academic and career-focused programmes, the University is inviting
applications for services as Online Teaching Assistants on an independent contract basis.
As an Independent Contractor you will:
• Not be regarded as an employee
• Not be entitled to any benefits such as medical, office space, equipment, leave
(including sick leave), etc in terms of the UNISA’s conditions of service.
• Provide your own infrastructure i.e. your own computer, your own internet access and
any other office-related equipment.
• Not be based at a Unisa campus or any location linked to the University
• Work on your own time in completing teaching tasks online for a minimum of 20 hours
a week (e.g. marking of assignments, interacting with students on discussion forums,
sending emails, etc). These hours should preferably be spread over a few days per
Teaching Assistants will have the following duties:
Familiarise yourself online with the subject content of the course
Familiarise yourself online with the pedagogical approach followed to teach the
Familiarise yourself online with the myUnisa learning platform
Monitor student online learning for up to 200 students
Facilitate subject-related student online discussions
Mark (grade) student online assignments
Give feedback on student online assignments
Respond online to student queries
Provide student support online
Participate in online teaching assistant training sessions
Interact frequently online with the lead lecturer
Fulfil administrative tasks relating to Teaching Assistants
To be considered as an independent contractor Teaching Assistant, applicants must
apply, reside in South Africa and not currently be employed permanently or on a fixed
term contract by Unisa.
Applicants must supply certified copies of their highest qualification as well as ID
document/passport, with valid residential permit and comprehensive CV. They must
also meet the requirements below:
• Ongoing access to an internet connected computer (20 hours/week minimum)
• Ongoing access to the internet at own cost
• Own copies of software packages that may be required for teaching e.g. Adobe
Professional Suite, Internet browsers, Word processing
• Advanced computer skills i.e. no training will be provided in using software packages,
Internet sites or email.
• Commitment to meeting deadlines and a passion for student-centered learning
• Advanced communication skills and proficiency in English (all student communication
will be text based writing by email, forums or assignment feedback documents)
• Being a former Unisa student would be an advantage owing to operational knowledge
of the myUnisa platform.
• Teaching experience will be an advantage.
Please clarify in your CV the nature of your computer and internet connection; the
nature of the software packages installed on your computer; the nature of your
computer skills and knowledge of software packages; the nature of your knowledge of
myUnisa; and the nature of your teaching experience.
Applicants should apply for a teaching assistant position in the following College:
COLLEGE OF ACCOUNTING SCIENCES (CAS)
The College specific requirements are as follows:
COLLEGE OF ACCOUNTING SCIENCES:
CAS1501 PERSPECTIVES ON ACCOUNTANCY
In this module, students are:
• Introduced to the roles of and principles applicable to accountancy professionals and
the pervasive qualities and skills associated with such roles and principles;
• Guided towards an appreciation for the different principles and orientations of ethical
behaviour in personal, business and professional accountancy contexts;
• Exposed to the fundamentals of fraud and corruption, including their attributes,
impacts and motivators in accountancy contexts; and
• Exposed to the foundation for practising accountancy in an ethical and professionally
✓ A Bachelor’s degree with Financial Accounting, Management Accounting, Taxation,
External Auditing or Internal Auditing as a major subject (taken up to third year level).
✓ Work experience directly related to the major subjects of the Bachelor’s degree will
be taken into account in the selection process.
✓ Certified advanced computer literacy.
To apply, Motivate why you think you should be considered and attach include the following
A comprehensive curriculum vitae
Certified copy (within the previous six months) of highest educational qualification
Certified copy (within the previous six months) of your identity document/passport
Proof of SAQA verification of foreign qualifications.
UNISA reserves the right to authenticate all qualifications without any further consent from the
applicant. Late, incomplete and incorrect applications will not be considered. Teaching
Assistants and E-Tutors currently contracted should not apply.
Application Documents must be sent to the following e-mail address: [email protected]
Monthly remuneration: R14 960
Closing Date: 14 December 2021
Assumption of duty: Online training will commence 23 December 2021; Contracts will be effected from 1st February 2021
Ms Ellen Matshika 012 429 1060/ [email protected]
UNISA reserves the right not to make an appointment and correspondence will be limited to
short-listed candidates only. If you have not been contacted within 4 months after the closing date
of this advertisement, please accept that your application was not successful